Let's admit it, one of the most difficult aspects of chore planning for your children and the execution of the chores is....execution. Many parents believe that they ask their child three or more times to complete a chore or task before it is done.
Does that sound familiar?? If so, you are not alone.
So what can we do as parents to motivate our children to complete tasks without us having to "nag" at them?? Below is a list of motivating Tips and Tricks!
1. Download Dangle App and upload daily chores and tasks for your children to complete.
2. Make chore time, fun time! If cleaning up the kitchen after dinner is on your child's chore list, how about making clean up time a dance party? Play music and dance along with your children as you supervise them washing dishes, loading up the dishwasher and tidying up the kitchen.
3. Implement time challenges. Children love to compete. If the chore is to clean their bathroom, time how long it takes them. The next week when the chore comes up again, tell your child, "Last week it took you 8 minutes to clean your bathroom. Let's see if you can beat that time this week!" You will be amazed at what adding an extra challenge can do to motivate your child.
4. Make it a team effort. Encourage your child to be a part of the family team. If you tell your child their contribution is important to the entire family, they will feel like their chore really "matters" to how smoothly the household runs.
5. Build independent thinking and initiative by empowering your child. Instead of using controlling language when motivating your child to finish chores try using language like..."Tre, I love it when you make your bed because you do such a great job at it." "Tre, it's 5 o'clock. Do you know what that means? It means it's time for you to eat. Don't you think it may mean Gracie (the cat) may want to eat to?"
6. Don't use chores as a punishment. If your child does something to disappoint you, do not use a chore assignment to punish them. You do not want your child to see doing chores as a punishment.